Wembley reached village status in 1928. George Finch was Wembley's first mayor. It wasn't until 1957 that water and sewer services were introduced. In the early 1970's the Agriculture Society was formed with the purpose of getting a RecPlex Facility for the area. Besides the arena, it also had a curling rink, and recreation park with ball diamonds and tennis courts. August 1, 1980 Wembley was granted Town Status (population 1119) and that same year, the streets of Wembley were paved. A new post office was built in 1981. Wembley is part of the County of Grande Prairie.
HISTORY OF WEMBLEY, ALBERTA