HISTORY OF WILLIAMSON PROVINCIAL PARK, ALBERTA
Located on the south shore this park was designated a Provincial Park in 1960. Named after Alexander Williamson an area landowner who settled in the area in the early 1920's. Originally from Scotland.
The Sekanie, Beaver, Chipewyan and Cree lived in the Sturgeon Lake in the early years. The name Sturgeon lake came from the translation of the word "Mo-koo-oo-pow" . Settlers began arriving in the early 1900's. The area was first surveyed in 1908 and eventually Alexander Williamson owned it in 1945. The government bought the land for $2500 in 1960 and later that year became a provincial park to be enjoyed by all.
There is a pier that extends into Sturgeon Lake at WIlliamson Provincial Park, Alberta.
Cosy Cove Marina & Campground
A private campground located a few kilometers to the west of Williamson Provincial Park, also on the south shore of Sturgeon Lake. This area is much shallower and narrower and often referred to as "The Narrows". Approximately 23 km west of Valleyview.
Parks Rangers at Alberta Parks regularily check to see if fishermen have the proper fishing and boat licences as well as to ensure the catch limit is correct. Information on limits of catch and how to transport fish are in the Alberta Sportfishing Guide.
Greenview Golf Resort
Located near the lake. 9 holes, grass greens, pro shop, club house, RV Park along Sturgeon Lake. 780-524-3673.