This community was originally known as Aurora. It was discovered, there was already another community in Ontario by the same name, so it was decided to come up with another name. In 1947, when the first post office officially opened, the residents chose "Manning " named after the former Premier of Alberta, Ernest Charles Manning who was premier from 1943 to 1968. He was also a radio evangelist. Later he was an Alberta Senator from 1970 to 1983 and was made a Companion of the Order of Canada. He also received the Alberta Order of Excellence in 1981. Ernest Charles Manning died in 1996. (Father of Preston Manning, former leader of the official opposition party, Reform Party of Canada.) The Battle River Hospital was built in 1937 with a newer hospital constructed in 1955. The settlement was incorporated as a village in 1952 and a few years later it became a town in 1957. The Great Slave Lake Railway finally reached Manning in 1962.
HISTORY OF MANNING, ALBERTA