The Hamlet of Keg River is located on the original site of the Slavey and Cree Indians summer village. In 1896 the Hudson Bay Company arrived in the area as the fur trade industry was beginning to grow. Over the years more stores were built and in 1931 Keg River had their own doctor. The first post office opened here in 1932 with L.G. Harrinton the first postmaster. The name of the community "Keg River" was taken from the nearby river. The name of the river originated from the kegs of brew found in the river. In 1935 construction started on the Mackenzie Highway.
HISTORY OF KEG RIVER, ALBERTA