Grimshaw was named after Dr. M.E. Grimshaw , a native of Kingston Ontario, who established a medical practice in the Village of Peace River Crossing in 1914. He served on the village council for many years holding offices of reeve, village commissioner and later the position of mayor. Grimshaw's location was chosen by the Central Canada Railway in 1917 and was surveyed by Alfred Driscoll in September 1921. When the site was first surveyed it was commonly known as "the stop" by many railway crews. On February 18, 1930 the hamlet was established as the "Village of Grimshaw" and became the town on February 2, 1953.
HISTORY OF GRIMSHAW, ALBERTA
The new Mile Zero Regional Multiplex had its Grand Opening on Family Day, February 18-20, 2012. 4609-50 Street, 780-332-4005. The Grimshaw Municipal Library, Tourist Information Centre and two schools are also located here.
Grimshaw Library VIEW PHOTO
Grimshaw Residential Area: VIEW PHOTO
CAMPING: Queen Elizabeth Provincial Park is 6 km west of Grimshaw. 56 unit campground, some with electricity, picnic area, playground, sandy beach, boat launch, horseshoes, 4.5 km of hiking trails. Opened in 1957 as Lac Cardinal Park and officially re-opened in 1978 as Queen Elizabeth Provincial Park. Park FEATURE PAGE
Grimshaw and District Chamber of Commerce. (780) 332-2143. Chamber WEBSITE
NOW POSTED Events of the Peace Country