Fur traders were the first to arrive in the area and a Hudson's Bay Post was established at Sturgeon Lake some 15 km west of the present day location of Valleyview. Originally Valleyview was known as Red Willow, named after the Red Willow Creek. In 1916 the 1st pioneers settled in the area near the creek as its soil was rich for farming. Later it was learned that the name Red Willow was already used for another community so it was renamed "Valleyview". 1929 the Valleyview post office opened with D. Williamson the first postmaster. Oil was discovered in the 1950's and became one of the major industries of the area. That resulted in a sudden growth in population and services.
HISTORY OF VALLEYVIEW, ALBERTA