Spirit River, Alberta
Because the railroad missed this location, those early settlers decided to move and it split into two communities, one to the west (Now Spirit River) and one to the east. (Now Rycroft). Rycroft became the railroad centre of the area. In the early 1900's (around 1920) 3 settlers by the names of Doc Calkin, R.H. Rycroft and Bill English put their last names in a hat and Rycroft was the winner. Spirit River took its name after the Spirit River that ran by the original town sight.
More recent photo of the Spirit River Museum Click Here
The Spirit River Settlement Museum. 48 Street and 44 Avenue. Includes 11 historical buildings of the area. Reed House was built in 1918, Whinchel Cabin from 1914, The Flour mill from 1800, Charlie Orformis Cabin built in 1934, the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church from 1930, Bronco Creek School from 1920 (area northeast of Spirit River), Spirit Valley Hall from 1932 (area northwest of Spirit River) and also the Blacksmith shop built in 1919 from the Devale area near Spirit River. (780) 864-2180.
Residential area on the west side of Spirit RIver.
Town of Spirit River (780) 864-3998. Town of Spirit River website
Municipal District of Spirit River No. 133. Located at 4202-50 Street. (780) 864-3500. website
Saddle Hills County office, moved west of Spirit River to a new building along Highway 49 and junction Highway 725, Moonshine Lake turnoff. (780) 864-3760. Website
The Grande Spirit Foundation and MLA Todd Loewen announced (March 6, 2020) that a new seniors facility would be built in Spirit River.